Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Not My Momma's Marinara


I can’t honestly say that this recipe is one that has been passed down through my family for generations.  We aren’t Italian – we’re Southern (with a capital S, yes).  We pass down recipes for low country boils, baked goods, and knowledge of how to make a good sweet tea!  This recipe, however, does come from a well-known Southern lady – Miss Paula Deen* herself!  My family isn’t generally thrilled about Miss Paula’s recipes.  We aren’t big on butter.  Or lard.  BUT when my mom had a friend cook shrimp and grits with this marinara recipe, she was hooked.  Mom’s friend shared the recipe with Mom, and in turn, Mom shared the recipe with me.  It makes a TON.  I actually store it in the freezer in Ziploc bags for future use!  It’s great for lasagna, shrimp and grits, spaghetti, and SO much more!  J actually uses it as a dip for his garlic bread! 

We actually used it for the sauce for our shrimp and grits the other evening.  I almost wish I had thrown in some Italian Sausage (with casings removed, of course) with it!  

Without further ado, Ms. Paula’s recipe:

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons minced garlic
½ Cup White Wine
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Thyme
1 Tablespoon Basil
2-28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2-28 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 tsp The Lady’s House Seasoning**

1.  Heat olive oil in LARGE pot on medium heat.  Sautee garlic in olive oil, stirring frequently, being careful not to let it burn.
2.  Once garlic has browned, add in remainder of spices.  Stir for about one minute.
3.  Pour wine into oil and spice mixture.  Stir for about one minute.
4.  Add the diced tomatoes (undrained), and stir for 2 minutes.  Then add the tomato sauce, sugar and house seasoning.
5.   Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 2 hours.  The longer it cooks, the thicker it gets.
6.  Freeze any extra.

*My mom SWEARS it’s from Paula Deen (trust me, I interrogated her appropriately!), but I cannot find an original source anywhere.  I will continue to try and find it, and provide a link later. My apologies for being so ill-prepared!
**The Lady’s House Seasoning is 1 cup salt,  ¼ cup black pepper, ¼ cup garlic powder. Also courtesy of Miss Deen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment